Fun Facts About Dogs That You May or May Not Know
I have to admit that I am definitely partial to dogs. I’ve lived without a lot of different kinds of animals, but I can never remember a time that I didn’t have a dog living in my home. Therefore, whenever I find out new things about them, I like to share it!
So here is a list of fun facts about dogs, most of which I never knew. Maybe there’s something here that you didn’t know either!
What You Always Wanted to Know About Dogs
- The most popular name for a dog is Max
- About 1/3 of dogs surrendered to shelters are pure bred
- Dogs don’t sweat by salivating
- They sweat through the pads of their feet
- Adult dogs have 42 teeth
- All dogs have pink tongues except the Chow Chow and the Sharpei
- Their tongues are black
- The Basenji is the only dog that doesn’t bark
- They yodel!
- The Newfoundland’s coat is water resistant
- Dalmation puppies are pure white when they’re born
- Their spots develop as they grow
- Dogs can tell time with their noses
- I still can’t figure out how they discovered that!
- Dogs have 3 eyelids
- Upper, lower, and a third eye, which keeps the eyes moistened
- There are more than a dozen muscles in a dogs ears
- When dogs go to the bathroom and then kick their hind feet, they’re not trying to cover it
- They’re marking their territory with the sweat glands on the bottom of their feet
- You can lower your blood pressure by petting a dog
- Dogs are protecting their vital organs when they curl up to sleep
- The Norwegain Lundhund is the only dog that has 6 toes on each foot
- The mayor of Cormorant Minnesota is a dog named Duke
- Dogs are not color blind
- They can see different shades of blue, yellow and grey
- Dogs’ feet smell like corn chips because that’s where their sweat glands are
- It’s their body odor!
- A dog’s nose print is like a human’s finger print
- They are unique
- The longer a dog’s face is, the longer they will live
- Now, there’s one that I never heard of!
- We all know that yawning s contagious, but did you know that it’s also contagious to dogs?
- If your dog hears you yawn, he will often yawn as well!
- The Labrador Retriever is originally from Newfoundland!
- The Prairie Dog is actually from the squirrel family
- Beagles and Collies bark more than any other breed
- Dogs prefer to eat in groups
- Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs
- Greyhounds are the fastest dog in the world
- The rarest dog breed is the Cesky Terrior
- There are only about 350 in existence
- It is legal in Palding Ohio for a policeman to bite a barking dog
- But I can’t help but wonder why they’d want to!
- Poodles are originally from Germany
- When you smile at a dog, they see it as a sign of aggression
- They see you as bearing your teeth at them
- Female dogs will bite more often than males
- Never let your dog eat the seeds of an apple or pear
- They contain arsenic
- Legend has it that the only dogs that were on Noah’s Ark were Afghan Hounds
- You can hurt your dog’s feeling if you give a treat to another dog and don’t give him one
- They’ve been known to sulk
- About a million people in the United States have named their pet a the primary beneficiary in their will
There at so many things that are known about dogs. I couldn’t possibly include everything! If you found this information useful, or even entertaining, let me know in the comments below!
Sign up for our newsletter (above), and hop on over and ‘Like’ my Facebook page!