BIRD: Characterized by feathers, a beak and the ability to lay hard-shelled eggs. They live worldwide and range in size from two inches (Bee Hummingbird) to nine feet (Ostrich). Birds are the last living group of dinosaurs. They certainly don’t look like any dinosaur I’ve ever seen! They first appeared about 100 million years ago (Wikipedia). Now I ask you, how would they know that?
THE 10 BEST BIRDS TO HAVE AS PETS (according to birdchannel.com):
- African Grey Parrots
- Budgies (Parakeets)
- Amazon Parrots
- Senegal Parrots
- Maxamilian Parrots
WHY GET A BIRD:
You’re bound to find a bird that will fit into your lifestyle. The majority of the most popular birds can be taught to talk; some being easier to train than others.
Some are more playful than others, and some are more vocal (noisy) than others.
A LITTLE ABOUT BIRDS:
Birds, no matter what kind you decide would be best for you, need to be kept busy. They need perches and toys and treats. A cage, large enough for your bird is a must. Even if you intend to allow it to fly around your house, he’ll still need somewhere to go when he feels frightened or threatened in any way.
DID YOU KNOW…?
- If your bird gets too noisy, put a towel over his cage and it will quiet down
- Birds love to bathe, so a large bowl of lukewarm water should be made available to your bird once a day
- Budgies are happy if they are given a wet lettuce leaf to roll around in
- Some of the bigger birds like to be sprayed with a water bottle
- If your bird starts to pluck out his feathers, it usually means that he is too hot
- If he sits with his feathers all puffed up, he is probably too cold
- When training your bird to talk, 2 or 3 ten-minute sessions a day, at the same time each day, seems to work best
- The most important thing to train your bird to do is the step-up command
- This is where the bird will step onto your finger, hand, or arm on command
- This helps you to retrieve him if he’s in a dangerous situation, or if you just need to return him to his cage
- You’ll also need to teach him the step-down command, to make him get into his cage
- If he’d rather just chill with you instead of getting in his cage, he’ll need to learn this!
- The larger birds can break a bone if they bite, so it’s best to keep your hands away from their beak, at least until your bird get to know you
- Two of the worst things you can feed to your pet bird is onions and garlic
- And just like dogs, they should never be given chocolate!
- Peanuts should only be given as an occasional treat and should not be included with their food
TO BE CONTINUED…
Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion, or (constructive) criticism. Sign up for our newsletter (above), and hop on over and ‘Like’ my Facebook page!